Q&A Transcripts Megathread

October 12

Spoiler

Q. Will there be streaming music?

A. Yes, SoundCloud and YouTube

Q. Can you run, jump & fly?

A. Yes, you can fly using wings or a jetpack

Q. Will animations be motion captured?

A. Not all of them but we will only use high-quality animations.

Q. How many avatar save slots?

A. No specific number yet but it should be a lot

Q. Will there be in-game report options

A. Yes, also a block option that removes their avatar from your screen

Q. What if people blast music down their mic in public spaces?

A. There will be a mute option, you can also mute the player from far away using the player list.

Q. Do you have a park?

A. Not yet but there will be one.

Q. What is the rating for AviLife

A. M for Mature.

Q. Will there be any face piercings or extra slots for makeup and eyelashes.

A. There will be face piercings and makeup options, I haven't thought about extra eyelashes slots. I'll look into it more and see what can be done.

Q. WIll there be tatoos?

A. Yes!

Thanks to everyone that turned up and asked questions!

August 19

Spoiler

Q. Can we make avatars look like us, like we did on Home (Customization)?

A. Yes

Q. Will it be VR compatible?

A. VR is not currently planned but I'll look into sometime in the future.

Q. What will we find in the first release of the app?

A. Avatar customization, personal spaces, furniture placement, active items, some mini-games, environment interaction, 4+ spaces, +more

Q. Any idea when the kickstarter will launch?

A. I'm not sure yet, I want to build up the fan base to ensure the kickstarter doesn't fail.

Q. What will be the age rating for AviLife

A. Mature

Q. Can we jump

A. Yes

Q. Do we start with free stuff

A. Yes, you will be provided with some basic furniture and clothing

Q. What is the virtual currency called

A. We haven't settled on a name yet, probably something like 'Bux'

Q. Will there be self-moderation features (block, ignore, report, etc)

A. Yes, there will also be in-game moderators

Q. A lot of people have already laid roots in the big 3 virtual worlds, what incentive is there for a 4th virtual world this late in the PS4's life cycle?

A. I believe the features we offer will make players want to play AviLife over the others. Other virtual worlds are plagued with missing features, terrible frame rates and overall jankiness. Personally I just don't find them fun to play, they are all missing that special something that made Home enjoyable.

With AviLife we already have advanced features like the public cinema where you can play YouTube videos, or the night club where you can play any track on soundcloud so you don't have to listen to some cheap beat that repeats itself over and over.

YouTube and SoundCloud will also be available in personal spaces and clubhouses by using the Media TV which you receive for free.

Q. Will there be picture frames for users to put their own photos from their hard drives into personal spaces?

A. There will be picture frames but you cannot directly upload from your HDD due to some laws in countries like Germany. You can however post a link to an image hosted anywhere else on the internet.

Q. Is AviLife in partnerhip with any developers?

A. Not currently

Q. Will we be able to talk in game in an apartment or public space

A. Yes, voice chat is available in all public and personal spaces

Q. If you fail to meet the kickstarter goal will the game be cancelled

A. No but it will severely impact development times and there would be big delays.

We would likely launch an indigogo flexible funding campaign if the kickstarter campaign fails.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Thank you so much Brink for posting the Q&A from the community meeting that a few of us were not able to get to - the summary answers a lot of my questions!  I note that you plan to include the ability to play videos and your own music in your private spaces and this is a big plus for me - and free too!  Media players are already available in another PC game I play and I do feel that one of the big reasons I don't use my private spaces hardly at all in the existing 'Big 3' on PS4 is the lack of this function.  It's no fun to invite people round when there is no music playing or just ambient music - no good for a party - so it's great to hear that is planned.  Same with being able to have personal pics in private spaces that are hosted by a third party - this is essential for personalising an apartment so our spaces don't all look much the same!  I hope the picture frames will come in a range of sizes and/or be able to be changed in size and dimensions to suit various wall spaces - such as making it into wallpaper.  Regarding the in-game currency - I can see this might be needed for some things, but there have been complaints in the ex-PS Home community about the need for a special currency at all.  On Home we used to just buy things using real money.  This is just my feeling but the use of in-game currency seems intended to mask how much things actually cost.  A lot of 'free' MMORPGs have their own currency for micro-transactions and, in my opinion, the true value of your dollar is lost (except the people who sit down and work out how much everything costs in real dollars, etc).  I really think AviLife players would appreciate buying items with the actual dollar value shown if that is possible - the only issue could be having a system that can handle all the different currencies, but this shouldn't be a problem via Playstation Network and Steam.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting the Q&A . Great to know what was brought up for those that were unable to attend!  (Can we also get the one from Friday posted as well?)

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, Abiatha said:

Thank you so much Brink for posting the Q&A from the community meeting that a few of us were not able to get to - the summary answers a lot of my questions!  I note that you plan to include the ability to play videos and your own music in your private spaces and this is a big plus for me - and free too!  Media players are already available in another PC game I play and I do feel that one of the big reasons I don't use my private spaces hardly at all in the existing 'Big 3' on PS4 is the lack of this function.  It's no fun to invite people round when there is no music playing or just ambient music - no good for a party - so it's great to hear that is planned.  Same with being able to have personal pics in private spaces that are hosted by a third party - this is essential for personalising an apartment so our spaces don't all look much the same!  I hope the picture frames will come in a range of sizes and/or be able to be changed in size and dimensions to suit various wall spaces - such as making it into wallpaper.

You're welcome 🙂 and picture frames will come in various sizes. I like the picture frame idea and making it into a wallpaper, they would likely be added further into development.

On 8/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, Abiatha said:

Regarding the in-game currency - I can see this might be needed for some things, but there have been complaints in the ex-PS Home community about the need for a special currency at all.  On Home we used to just buy things using real money.  This is just my feeling but the use of in-game currency seems intended to mask how much things actually cost.  A lot of 'free' MMORPGs have their own currency for micro-transactions and, in my opinion, the true value of your dollar is lost (except the people who sit down and work out how much everything costs in real dollars, etc).  I really think AviLife players would appreciate buying items with the actual dollar value shown if that is possible - the only issue could be having a system that can handle all the different currencies, but this shouldn't be a problem via Playstation Network and Steam.

The real reason developers do this (On console at least) is so they don't loose so much money when Sony/MS/Steam takes their cut. If they used the PS/XB/Steam Store for every virtual in-game item they would loose 30% when that item is bought via the PS/Xb/Steam Store.  It's also why for an example they sell an item in game for 15 'coins' but only sell virtual currency in packs of '10 'coins so you have to buy two packs. It's all done to make up for the cut Sony/MS/Steam takes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Thanks for posting the Q&A . Great to know what was brought up for those that were unable to attend!  (Can we also get the one from Friday posted as well?)

Not many people were able to attend the second one because I pushed it forward without much notice, the questions asked were already answered in the first Q&A. The next event will be much later so we should get a better turn out.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:31 AM, Brink said:

You're welcome 🙂 and picture frames will come in various sizes. I like the picture frame idea and making it into a wallpaper, they would likely be added further into development.

The real reason developers do this (On console at least) is so they don't loose so much money when Sony/MS/Steam takes their cut. If they used the PS/XB/Steam Store for every virtual in-game item they would loose 30% when that item is bought via the PS/Xb/Steam Store.  It's also why for an example they sell an item in game for 15 'coins' but only sell virtual currency in packs of '10 'coins so you have to buy two packs. It's all done to make up for the cut Sony/MS/Steam takes.

Ah, I didn't factor in that cut from Sony and Steam (Valve) on purchases - I should have thought of that!  Of course PS Home would have been different being owned by Sony anyway.  Thanks for explaining about that : )

What about glitching outside maps? If people can find ways to glitch the maps in other virtual worlds without a jump button feature, imagine how much easier it might be to glitch outside the maps by jumping in all the right places. Like in Skyrim, I can literally spam jump my way up an entire mountain and into places I could never otherwise reach by "normal" means. Is this not a concern for you or are your maps going to be super fortified with invisible barriers?

Same with flying wings and jetpacks. Just exactly how high in the sky can people fly? Are they going to be able to glitch outside the map with wings and jetpacks? 

37 minutes ago, Maddie_Muffins said:

What about glitching outside maps? If people can find ways to glitch the maps in other virtual worlds without a jump button feature, imagine how much easier it might be to glitch outside the maps by jumping in all the right places. Like in Skyrim, I can literally spam jump my way up an entire mountain and into places I could never otherwise reach by "normal" means. Is this not a concern for you or are your maps going to be super fortified with invisible barriers?

Same with flying wings and jetpacks. Just exactly how high in the sky can people fly? Are they going to be able to glitch outside the map with wings and jetpacks? 

There will be barriers in place to prevent players going to far but generally most spaces will be open to explore.

• Like 1

good stuff right here, love how you tackle important things. love to see your ability to appreciate an aspect of a social world that gamers want and need.

Will international servers be shared like on Nebula or individual, like it was on Home? Will we have to make separate accounts to access the UK, Japan & Hong Kong regions? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maddie_Muffins said:

Will international servers be shared like on Nebula or individual, like it was on Home? Will we have to make separate accounts to access the UK, Japan & Hong Kong regions? 

Shared

• Like 2